Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Flexible Vacation..... And a Flexible Life

Look here...... My first week on the blog, and I'm already slacking. Not much has been happening this week because I have been on vacation. School was out due to a national holiday (Honduras' independence was September 15). No fireworks or anything that I saw... Shame... I missed the 4th of July in the States (since I was in Thailand), so it would have been nice to see something.

I have quickly discovered that my life is much less eventful when I am not teaching at the school. I would not go so far as to say that it's boring, but there is far less excitement. I should be getting one or two more students in my kindergarten class this next week, and I will also get my first student for first grade. I am sharing a first grade class with one of my fellow teachers, so it should be interesting since we both do not know what we will be teaching or what the schedule is. Such is life in Honduras... I am never 100% sure what is going on around here, and most of the time, I'm fine with that.

When I was in Thailand in July, I learned that there really should be an addition to the Beatitudes: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape. I am quickly learning the meaning of that one. Each day I think that I will get the hang of the schedule down here, and each day something happens to make me think, "I will NEVER get the hang of the schedule down here." I think that may be the key to happiness: embracing all of the little misshaps that occur and smiling at Satan's constant attempts to distract me from my mission and purpose for being here. If he didn't get the memo, there is victory in the LORD, and Satan will not prevail. I guess he can stick that in his juicebox and suck it.

2 comments:

  1. Bobbi,
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us! It sounds like things are going well for you down there so far! That's great! I love that other Beatitude: Blessed are the flexible, for the shall never be bent out of shape. That's funny. That's life here in the DR too, I can never quite get the hang of it. But I love it! Glad to hear things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! Normally, Im not a person who needs to know whats going on (thats the beauty of being a follower), but sometimes the change in schedule does frustrate me. Glad to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete