Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Arrested!

Okay, so I am not sure what you have been hearing or reading about the political situation in Honduras, but I thought I would shed some light on it for you.

On June 28 of this year, Manuel Zelaya (president of Honduras) was forced out of the country by the Honduran military. As BBC News puts it, "The political crisis erupted after Mr. Zelaya tried to hold a non-binding public consultation to ask people whether they supported moves to change the constitution...the move was unconstitutional and was aimed at removing the current one-term limit on serving as president, so paving the way for Mr. Zelaya's possible re-election."

Well, since then, Zelaya has crossed the border back into Honduras only briefly only to be told that he should never return. On Monday, however, Zelaya made another surprise visit, and he is currently being barricaded at the Brazilian embassy in Tegucigalpa (the capital), where it is said that many of his supporters have gathered. Therefore, because of the situation, the airports have been shut down and Honduran authorities have issued a curfew that has extended for just over 2 days now. We are asked to stay in our houses because they are arresting people who are out on the streets. Many of the people in the streets are rioters and protesters in favor of Zelaya, so the "house arrest" is only a precaution to keep the rest of us safe.

Let me just say, being forced to stay inside for a couple days in a row is an interesting experience... They gave us like a half hour notice to let us know there was going to be a curfew starting Monday afternoon at 4pm, and it has kept getting extended until 6pm today (Wednesday). Unfortunately, within the first 3 weeks of being here, I had read all of the books I brought, so I've mostly been on the internet and watching movies the past couple days. Now, the interesting part about this is that there are 4 girls stuck in this house... and we need groceries. Hmm... unfortunate, no?

On the bright side, who knew I would ever get a "snow day" off of school in Honduras?! And here, I have 2 days! Haha. It has been nice to not have school, but I'm just coming off of a week long vacation due to Honduras celebrating its independence last week. My kids were OFF THE WALL on Monday. It was so difficult to get them to listen, so who knows what it will be like whenever this curfew lifts... May the Lord help me!

Breaking news! So, I was just informed by one of my roomies that they are lifting the curfew from 10am until 4pm for people to get out and get food. That is good, but the curfew was only supposed to last until 6pm in the first place... This means that they are probably planning to extend it again... and no one knows how long this could last.

Anyway, I just wanted to keep you all updated to let you know that I am safe, and I love you all for supporting me. So... Not much has been up with me, obviously, how about you guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment