Saturday, October 3, 2009

Victory.... AT LAST!

Victory! Sweet Victory! My clothes are all washed! Either I must be getting stronger (since last week) or I just had an immense amount of determination this morning because I managed to spend over 2 hours washing my clothes. Unfortunately, the clothes I am wearing are in need of a good washing now... But there is a huge sense of accomplishment in washing your own clothes by hand.... The feel of the soap through my fingers as I scrub them over the washboard... The constant back and forth motion to which I can hum various Michael Jackson tunes to as I work (okay, I don't really do that... but it's something to consider)... Who am I kidding?! Washing clothes here is one of the worst jobs! Oy.

Anywho... Last week was long. It was the first full week of school that I have had in over 2 weeks. We started teaching out of the actual textbooks on Thursday, and that was nice to have new activities for the kids. Unfortunately, my kids have been little angels one minute and little terrors the next. Don't let their cute little faces fool you.... In fact, BEWARE of the cute little faces! The cutest ones are the ones to look out for! They are the most dangerous because they suck you in to believe that they are wonderful little angels who would do no wrong... Only to turn on you. I have learned to not let my guard down around my 10 kiddos because you never know what they will do next.

I almost got to my breaking point at the beginning of the week. That was interesting. So, I have 3 little boys that are constantly refusing to listen, and I ended up sending them to the principal's office (in fact, I sent 2 of the 3 of them back later as well). The 1 boy that I did not send back to the office made me so frustrated that after I verbally reprimanded him to the best of my ability in Spanish, I ran out of Spanish vocabulary, and I started going off in English. I started saying, "Do you know how INFURIORATING you are being right now?!" Needless to say, his eyes were the size of grapefruits as he stood directly in front of me staring up at my angry face.... Needless to say, for that last part of class he behaved a lot better. Mission accomplished.


I finally have my discipline system in action. I made 3 big apples and 10 little worms. Each of my kids has a worm, and they have 3 chances to behave before I send them to the principal or talk to their parents. I just hung up the apples yesterday after school, and earlier this week I had been using the same system just by putting their names up on the board if they misbehave. That did actually help because they could tell when they were getting in trouble, and no one wanted their name up on the board. I guess we will see how the apples fare as this next week unravels.

Wednesday was probably the longest day of this past week. I went to a prayer meeting before school..... WAY TOO EARLY. Did you know that God is awake at 5am to hear your prayers? I wasn't sure that He was..... But I guess so. I woke up at a little before 5am to go to the church with 5 others to have a prayer meeting. It is something that I am glad that I did, but my brain was a little fuzzy, and I was tired for the rest of the week. If I'm going to continue to do that, I need to have some sort of conditioning or training or something... Ay.

I always feel good after going to the prayer meetings that we have though. There is something about having that intimate time with God for a full 45 minutes to an hour that really just makes a person feel lighter and uplifted. We always have a Friday evening meeting, and I do recommend the idea to anyone who feels led.

In addition to all of the other happenings, I have recently become addicted to taking Facebook quizzes. Did you know that I am 15% mean, 0% blonde, 84% attractive, 40% hated, 40% nerdy, and 45% retarded? Yeah, neither did I! It's amazing how many things you can learn about yourself in the 2 minutes or less that it takes to take these quizzes. I also found out that I am "Lame-o" and not even a little awesome. It is so comforting to know all of these facts about myself... I don't know how I ever made it through life without knowing what color of M&M I am and what my old lady name is. By the way, when I am old, you may refer to me as Eleanor, and I will be a cat lady...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have your hands full with the kids in your class. Hang in there, just be firm and it will get better. I love to read about your days and what is going on there. Your really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I am glad you are enjoying it! Some of the events in my life make for great stories! Lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time. lol. Keep up the good work and December will be here before you no it.

    ReplyDelete