Sunday, October 11, 2009

Got Game?

Who knew I would turn into a sports fan when I moved to Honduras? Well, let me tell you... You can't come here and not love soccer. It is a beloved sport in this country. Yesterday, I sat through an entire soccer game, and I actually watched the entire thing... I know what you must be thinking... "Oh no she didn't!" Well... I have a response for you. Oh yes I did!


The big game was Honduras vs. USA, here in San Pedro Sula, for a position in the World Cup to take place in South Africa in 2010. Let's just get something straight. Soccer is not just a "game" here.... No, no, no. It is a passion. If you want to better understand, then you need to see the amount of Honduran paraphernalia that is sold on the streets the week before a game. You need to see how many people wear the prideful blue and white of their Honduras jerseys the day before and the day of a game.... It is probably 85% of the people around here. One thing I can guarantee is this: when there is a Honduran game on, you can bet that a television is on in every household. Soccer is the beloved sport of Honduras, and it's the only one they really have. These people get more excited about this one sport than the entire US about all of their sports COMBINED! Maybe this brief explanation will help you to understand why I was wearing the Honduran colors yesterday for the game.


Yep! You've got it! I was totally decked out in my Honduras jersey. As we began watching the game, it was like a whole lot of excitement for no action..... How many times can the ball get close to a goal without going in it? Let me just answer that question for you... A LOT! The whole first half (45 minutes), neither team scored a single goal. Kind of disappointing, eh? I thought so. However, within the first 2 minutes of the second half, Honduras scored!!!!!! Now, picture this: 13 Hondurans and a little white girl all jumping around a living room screaming "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of their lungs and high fiving. For the announcers, everytime someone gets a goal, it is natural for them to shout "Gol!" and hold it out for as long as they can without turning blue and fainting. They probably have training camps for all the announcers so that they can practice screaming and holding out random words for much longer than 99% of all humans. Anyway, all this happened in the first 2 1/2 minutes of the second half.... Unfortunately, less than a minute later, the US had also scored. Then a few minutes later, they scored again. Finally, with about 10 minutes left in the game, the US scored again. Honduras made one more goal, but they still ended up losing 2-3. The last chance that Honduras has to make the World Cup is Wednesday. They must beat El Salvador, and the US must also beat Costa Rica in order for Honduras to make it.

If Honduras makes it to the World Cup, this would be the first time in 27 years that they have gone. Needless to say, I think it's their time! When Honduras lost, Javier told me that I had to walk home..... Then everyone congratulated me. The whole night I tried to convince them that I was Honduran now, so I didn't want the US to win. There is something totally not believeable about a little pasty red-headed girl trying to convince a group of native Hondurans that she is also Honduran. For some reason, they kept laughing at me.... *shrugs* I have no idea why.

Other than soccer, it has been a pretty uneventful week. There were 2 days in which my worst troublemakers were not at school, so I didn't have too much of a problem with them. Unfortunately, getting 5-year-olds to turn in their homework everyday is a whole new problem. I had one parent ask if the kids were supposed to bring back their homework or if it was just to keep at home........ Hmmm...... I don't even know how to respond to that question. When I heard that, my jaw probably fell to the floor as I almost burst out laughing. "No, ma'am, I just felt like your child needed some extra school stuff to look at for sheer enjoyment in the event that he/she may have a sudden revelation that leaps off the page at them.... Plus, it might be good punishment if he/she gets out of hand... 'Here kid! Have a worksheet' *cackle, cackle*"

On the bright side, NO SCHOOL TOMORROW!!!! National holiday. I like all these national holidays that they get off down here..... Maybe we could add a few more holidays into the curriculum in the States.... Pick a day! No school! Wouldn't life be lovely?

No comments:

Post a Comment