Tuesday, March 2, 2010

BLACKOUT!

So, many of you may not have heard about my wonderful experience last week. Wednesday was an adventure. It had started getting really warm outside, but Wednesday evening, it started cooling off... A LOT. Not only did it cool off, but there was wind.... a TON of wind. I was around the house by myself, and the wind was so bad that I was wondering if maybe there was a hurricane on the coast.

At about 6:30 pm, I was sitting on the couch in my living room, and I was chatting with a friend on the computer. We were discussing very important stuff... You know, things like: What's on T.V. tonight? Extremely important topics. So, the lights flickered briefly, and I was in the middle of typing "I think our power might go out," when it happened. In complete darkness I found myself sitting alone, surrounded by strange sounds as things crashed into our steel roof from all the wind.

Feeling like the power would come back on shortly, I began listening to music on my laptop, and soon I got a phone call from my friend Erin. I explained that the power went off, so that was the reason for my abruptly leaving Facebook chat. In all her time of living here, she said she had never known wind like that here in Honduras. Crazy.... Well, before we knew it, her power was out too. I proceeded to call my roomies and let them know to take it easy on the drive home, but they were pretty much home already.

After being home for a few minutes, we all walked down the street to find a sight I've never seen before. A telephone pole had been knocked over by the wind. Not only that, but it was completely snapped in half and suspended over the road by the electrical wires. We proceeded to walk past this sight to find a big tree completely fallen across some more electrical wires. As we continued our journey, right next to our school, a huge tree had fallen over and completely wiped out the roof of the bar that was once visible. At this same intersection, there was at least one very large tree that had fallen across another part of the road. All of this chaos was within 1 1/2 blocks from my house.

The firemen were working on getting the trees chopped up and out of the roads, but they had to do it by shining their headlights on the scene. The entire next day, we were without power, and our road was closed. Therefore, because the school is right down the road from where I live, we did not have classes the next day. In fact, we didn't get power at all during the day. We watched the progress of the new electrical pole throughout the day, and that was interesting in itself.

When we went to watch, there were 4 men with chains walking in a circle to manually screw the pole into the ground. We thought for sure that we wouldn't have power for a very very long time. We did decide to go to a coffee shop that had internet so that we could check our email and send messages to some people. Well, throughout the city, there were TONS of uprooted trees, and I even saw this HUGE billboard that had fallen over on top of the roof of a business. Needless to say, the business' roof had completely caved. As I was sitting in the coffee shop, the power proceeded to go out there as well. Just my luck, eh?

Well, we proceeded to go around town to various places last Thursday to make use of the electricity. We needed to charge our cell phones and computers so that we had SOME form of entertainment if we were going to be without power. Finally, at about 9 pm, we went home. We made it to the living room, lit a match, and it's as if this one little match held the answer. Right as it was lit, the power came on in the house! Praise the Lord!
That is the brief version of my latest experience down here in the wonderful country of Honduras. Throughout the next day, the power went off and on a couple of times, but otherwise Friday was spent at a children's museum here in San Pedro Sula. The kiddos had a great time, and we were not able to finish the tour, so I think we are going back this week to see the astronomy tower.

This weekend, because Justin is off in Haiti to help with a medical clinic, Ashley and I were flying solo here at the house. One night we decided to do a little bit of shopping, and Ashley said that it was time for a makeover! Haha. She wanted to see me with straight hair, so I proceeded to do my best without having my normal hair products and doing my best to manage with the humidity. Because she worked for Estee Lauder, she wanted to do my makeup, so we just had fun with it. Don't worry! I will provide a picture for y'all! Overall, it's been some week down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment