Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Another Ode.... To My Long, Lost Buddy...

Oh how I long for thee..... my long, lost buddy that makes me feel so warm and fuzzy on the inside. Just the touch of a button, and everything is all better. It makes life so much simpler.... and less work..... and less dishes. Oh to have a microwave again!

They have made a BAZILLION different types of tupperware or plasticware that can go through the microwave, but for me, down here, that is all useless. Everything gets reheated by the stovetop or the oven. I do have to say, however, that I have a brand new appreciation for the oven. I never realized just how many things you could really do with just an oven to make food. I also never realized how dependent I was on the good ol' microwave.... Do you know how much easier it is to THAW things with a microwave? All I have down here is cold, or lukewarm depending on what day it is, water that does not thaw anything that has been truly frozen.

I have to say, I've never had that truly intimate time with my chicken before as I sit there and watch it thaw when I take it out of the freezer. I now have time to name the chicken, give it a whole life story, bond with it, teach it a few tricks, and give it a funeral before I finally have the chance to cook it and eat it. It might be quicker just to raise my own chicken from an egg. Or I could just buy a live chicken and do the whole butchering thing myself... Although, that seems a little cruel and a lot messy. No, no... I prefer this way. Me and my pieces of chicken get along wonderfully. And it is surprising how lippy a frozen chicken isn't. You can pretty much discuss anything, and your chicken has to listen to you without talking back. Seriously, what is it going to do? Thaw itself, come back to life, and tell you to shut up? No. Actually, if it thawed itself, that would be pretty cool....

Anyway, I miss my microwave at home. I never realized how much I miss popcorn until I didn't have it anymore. So, just for all of you who never thought about living without a microwave for an extended period of time.... Just remember the chicken! And popcorn... You gotta have your popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment